Did you just come across a ds_store file in your Windows and can’t open it? That’s because you need a suitable software to do this.
With the right tool, all you need to do is right-click on the file and click Open With to open ds_store file in Windows. Now, select the program you want to open the file with. Easy
However, the ds_store file sometimes doesn’t open even with the software installed. So, in this guide, we’ll look at the software that you can use and what you can do in case you still can’t access it. Let’s get started.
What is a ds_store File in Windows
Also known as Desktop Services Store Files, a ds_store file is the macOS version of the Window’s desktop.ini files. These files are automatically created on remote file systems or local disks from different servers.
The main aim of a ds_store file is to store the custom view preferences of a folder. Some of the examples include the choice of a background image, chosen view option, the location and size of the folder, and column sorting.
If you often receive files from Mac, there is a chance that ds_store files appear on your Windows. These files are hidden on Mac but you can see them on non-Mac computers.
So, when you open an archive or a Mac-created folder on Windows, you will notice the presence of ds_store files there.
How to Open ds_store File in Windows
Here’s how you can open ds_store file in Windows.
- Right-click the ds_store file.
- Click Open With and then select Choose another app.
- Now select a program you want to open the ds_store file with.
- Check the box labeled Always use this app to open ds_store files.
How to Make Google Chrome Transparent in Windows 10
What Are Some Recommended Software to Open ds_store File in Windows
If you don’t have any software to open ds_store file in Windows, you need to download it first. While there are a variety of options to choose from, some of the recommended ones are Free File Viewer, WinRAR, and Adobe Illustrator. Other than that, you can also get Corel Graphics Applications, Power2Go, and Picaso Photo Viewer.
1. Free File Viewer
Free File Viewer lets the users open different file formats without the need to use traditional software to open them. Here’s how you can download it on your Windows to open ds_store file in Windows.
- Go to the official website of Free File Viewer and hit the Download button.
- Run the Installation Process once the download is complete.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
- The software is now ready to be used.
WinRAR is a file archiver that is used to unpack large files from different sources. Not only this, but it can also compress files in RAR and ZIP formats. The steps to download WinRAR on your Windows are mentioned below.
- Open the official WinRAR site to download and install its latest version on your PC.
- Click the Download button.
- Select Yes in the prompt window.
- Follow the instructions.
WinRAR will now be successfully installed on your computer.
3. Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Illustrator works on both Windows and mobiles to create beautiful designs that are compatible with every system. You can also use the software to open ds_store file in Windows. Follow the step-by-step instructions below to download it on your PC.
- Visit the official website of Adobe Illustrator.
- Click the Start Free Trial button to get a 7-day free trial. You can cancel the subscription anytime.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
If you are installing the software for the first time, the Creative Cloud desktop app will be installed on your PC as well.
Why Can’t I Open ds_store File in Windows
Sometimes, the inability to open ds_store files doesn’t necessarily mean that you don’t have the required software installed on your PC. It might be possible that other problems are blocking the ability to open these macOS format files.
Here’s a list of possible things that can go wrong.
- Sometimes the ds_store file that you are trying to open can get corrupted.
- There might be incorrect links in the registry entries.
- Your PC doesn’t have enough hardware resources to open a ds_store file.
- You might have accidentally deleted the description of the ds_store from the registry.
- The ds_store file that you are trying to open can be infected with malware.
- Drivers used by Windows to open the file may be out of date.
How to Play Mov Files on Windows 10
How to Hide ds_store File on Windows
Windows does not automatically hide the ds_store file created by the OSX browser. So, the following steps will tell you how to add a layer of invisibility to the ds_store files in Windows.
- Create a text document anywhere on Windows and change its extension to .bat.
- Click Yes on the dialog box that appears.
- Now right-click on the file and choose Edit.
- Paste the command Attrib +h +s C:\*.DS_Store /s in the text editor.
- Save the changes and exit.
- If your Windows is installed on any driver other than C:\, then replace the C in command with the appropriate name of the driver.
- Now double-click the .bat file to run the script. This will open a command window.
- The script will now search the entire C:\ driver for ds_store files to hide. This may take a while.
- However, this will not hide the new ds_store files created on your Windows. So, in case the new files are created, you will need to run the script again.
Can I Delete a ds_store File in Windows
While you can easily search and delete a ds_store file in Windows, we’d recommend that you don’t. That’s because deleting this file will also delete the custom Finder view settings such as background color, icon size, position, etc.
- However, if you still want to delete it, here’s how you can do so.
- Press Win + R together to open the Run dialog box.
- Type cmd in the search bar and press Enter.
- Enter the command del /s /q /f /a .DS_STORE in the new window.
- Hit Enter.
- Your computer will find all the traces of this Mac resource file and delete it.