MSG files are the files from Microsoft outlook. There is no software which can directly open msg files on mac. Even you cannot open these files using outlook on mac. This is because the file is created by the MS outlook on the windows platform not for the MAC operating system.
The MSG files can just be opened on Windows operating system using outlook. But worry not, there are still some methods that can open msg files on mac. Let’s see what is MSG File and how we can open msg file using different methods.
What Exactly is an MSG File
The MSG files may contain a calendar, email, contact or task. As, these are outlook files and the outlook software is also available for mac, android and IOS operating system. You must be wondering why we can’t simply download outlook and open it on mac.
We still can’t open the msg file on mac even using the outlook for mac. The issue is that msg files are created and opened by only the windows version of outlook. Other versions of outlook use different format. Now, let’s see how you can we open this file on mac using different methods.
7 Ways to Open MSG Files on Mac
If you got any MSG file and you want to open that on mac then follow the ways described below. Here are the 7 unique ways to open MSG files on mac.
1. Use the Outlook Web App
The simplest solution to open msg files on mac is to use the outlook Web app. The app has a built-in MSG viewer that can easily open you msg files on mac .
To do this, open a new email on outlook and attach the file, or forward the file to the Outlook email address. Then, simply click on it to open it.
2. Install Mozilla SeaMonkey on Your Mac
SeaMonkey is owned by Mozilla. It is an all-in-one internet application which combines email, web browsing, and much more. This is the only Mozilla program that can open these type of files on mac. Here’s how you can do this after installing the SeaMonkey on your mac.
- Launch the SeaMonkey and click on ‘Window’ in the top taskbar. Navigate to Mail and Newsgroups.
- You’ll be presented with the option to create a new account, click Cancel and then click Exit.
- Now, go to ‘Files’ situated at the top-left corner of your screen and click Open File.
- Here, a menu bar will pop up, select the MSG file that you want to open.
You can now read and open MSG files on mac.
How to Extract EXE Files on Mac
3. Install an MSG Viewer
If SeaMonkey is unable to open the file for you then you can try a paid software called MSG Viewer for outlook. There are some software that are only built to open these type of files. Here are some of the best ones available:
- MSG Viewer for Outlook: This is a free software from the AppStore, but with an in-app purchase. Getting the full version from the website is possible at $17.99 only. The MSG Viewer will allow you to open message files on your preferred email.
- Message Viewer Online: It is an online tool that you can use for free to open such files on mac.
- Sysinfo MSG Viewer: It is available on a free trial basis and lets you view 25 files online for free. The full version costs $29.
- Klammer: In $3.99, you will get this app from AppStore. It allows you to convert MSG files in bulk after subscribing to a free in-app-purchase.
4. Install an MSG Converter
You can also use any file converter to convert MSG file to any other format that mac can read. Here are a few options that you may find useful:
- MSG-Extractor: It is a free-to-use python tool that will extracts the data from the MSG file.
- Zook MSG to EML Converter: A relatively expensive tool at $49.00 which makes the MSG file readable.
- MailRaider: It extracts the plain text from the MSG file. The MailRaider has a free trial and then it costs $4.99.
5. Try Changing the File Extension
There is also a way to open msg files on mac that is you can change the extension of your msg file on mac. Here’s how you can try this.
- Right-click on the MSG file that you want to convert.
- Click to Get Info.
- Go to Name and Extension section.
- Switch to a new format like EML or TxT from the MSG.
- Hit Return.
The EML extension is used by Mac’s mail application. To convert to EML, follow the steps below:
- Look for the file that you want to convert in the Finder.
- Right click on it to open the option menu.
- There, click on the Rename option, this renames your file.
- Simply, add the extension EML to the end of the name of the file.
- Note that you’ll be warned of making this change but just go ahead with it.
- Lastly, open the file by double clicking on it.
This process may solve your problem of opening the MSG file.
6. Open it as a Text File
You can also open msg files on mac as a plain text file using a simple text editor. If you do this, the decryption of the msg to text file may confuse you, but you will get the text body content perfect. However, if it is an attachment then this method is not much effective.
To open the MSG file as a plain text document:
- Find the MSG file in finder and right-click on it to open the context menu.
- Now, go to Open With, and select TextEdit.app.
If the ‘TextEdit.app’ is not available, simply go to Other and click on any text editor present in the list.
7. Run Outlook for Windows on Your Mac
Another method is available to open MSG files on mac but this only works with intel macs. This is not for the latest M1 or M2. You can install Windows on your mac. Apple allows you to install Windows to be installed alongside macOS.
To use Windows on your mac, restart your mac and press option key during startup to move from macOS to windows or vice-versa. After switching to windows, simply install outlook as like windows OS. Simply, open your msg file using outlook for windows.
However, this method is relatively expensive as you’ll have to purchase MS Windows and will have to go through technical steps—which is just too much work.