Opening an old file format such as SIT on Mac might sound a bit too difficult. Even worse is knowing that the built-in Mac Archive Utility would not support this file format. Luckily, there are many compatible applications on the App Store and online that will allow you to easily open SIT file on mac alongside with many other file formats.
We have compiled this in-depth guide to help you understand how to open SIT File on Mac, discover relevant compatible applications and websites, and ways to open SIT file on other systems.
So, without further ado, let’s dig in.
What Is SIT File on Mac
SIT file is Stuffit archives or folders that are compressed and make downloading sets of files more accessible. These files open automatically when they are downloaded. On the older mac versions, the downloads were usually single .sit files. On the newer Mac versions, you can use third-party applications to open SIT file on mac.
These files usually belong to StuffIt by Smith Micro. The Smith Micro StuffIt file compression and archiving software was made in 1987 and became popular because of its high compression ratio as other formats at that time performed less than it.
StuffIt also allows for creating email attachments which in turn help facilitate access, documentation transmission, and data security. On top of that, it secures archive documents by encrypting important information using SIT file. You must remember that SIT file is not prone to viruses, unlike other file formats.
Although StuffIt was originally for MacOS, with time, it became compatible with other operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and Sun Solari.
How to Open SIT File on Mac
Mac allows you to open SIT file with third-party applications and credible websites. All you need to do is navigate to the SIT file on your Mac from the Finder window and double-click on it to launch. If your Mac has a suitable and compatible application to open the file, it will open.
On the other hand, if it doesn’t have a compatible application, it will show an error message that says There is no application set to open the file. You can search for compatible applications by either clicking on the search app store button that appears along with the error message or downloading one of the applications below.
Note: if you already have an application on your Mac that you know is compatible with SIT file, but your Mac still shows errors, click the Choose Application button on the error window to choose the application from there.
How to Open MSI File on Mac
1. Smith Micro StuffIt Expander
Smith Micro StuffIt Expander is another application available on Mac that helps you access StuffIt file. Additionally, you can also use it to decompress tar, gzip, and bzip archives. This application helps you to uncompress Zip archives as well.
This app offers extreme convenience to users by letting the user simply drag and drop the file to handle it. It takes absolutely no time and no hassle to get the work done.
2. The Unarchiver
The Unarchiver is a free software to unarchive a variety of archive files. You can use it to open SIT file on mac. Besides, it is also compatible with file formats such as Zip, RAR, 7-zip, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, DiskDoubler, LZH, ARJ, and ARC.
It is a perfect free alternative to the built-in Mac Archive Utility, which supports comparatively fewer formats. You can use this user-friendly app by simply downloading it and setting it as your default application for archive files.
To help you open archives on other Apple devices such as iPad or iPhones, locate Archives on the App Store or go to Archives for iOS. This will help you easily handle and work with Archives on iOS.
3. Incredible Bee Archiver
Incredible Bee Archiver allows you to extract, compress, split and encrypt archives and files. You can either extract the SIT file using the method mentioned in the beginning or drag and drop the SIT file in the application to extract it easily.
This application also allows you to work with other file formats than SIT, such as Zip, RAR, 7zip, Tar, and Tar X. The simple interface of Incredible Bee Archiver makes it a good option for Mac users to fulfill their archive management needs.
iArchiver is an incredibly easy-to-use application to create, extract and convert archives. The application is divided into 3 tabs that are Create, Extract and Convert. In the preferences, you will need to define the format you want to convert to or from.
Alongside SIT file, the iArchiver can work with Zip, 7zip, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, RAR, DMG, rpm, PAX, and many other file formats. Like many other applications, iArchiver also allows a drag and drop facility that makes it extremely convenient.
Smith Micro Stuffit Deluxe Mac
Smith Micro Stuffit Deluxe Mac is a file compression and expansion application. You can use it to securely share and store large files, photos, videos, and presentations. It also handles and opens SIT and SITX file formats.
The best thing about this application is that it is super easy to use. You can simply drag and drop the files to be handled on the destination tile. Besides, the StuffIt MagicMenu allows you to access the app’s features from the Mac Finder without having to open it every time.
Opening SIT File Online
If you don’t want to download an application and want to quickly open SIT File on mac, then the good idea is to go for a reliable website that is compatible with SIT file and allows you to open them. To help make your struggle easier, we have listed a few:
You can simply click on the open file buttons on these websites to upload a SIT file here and open the file quickly and without any hassle.
How to Set Default Opening Application for SIT Files
To avoid confusion and associate SIT file extension with the correct application every time you open the file, follow the steps below:
- Choose any SIT file.
- Right-click on it.
- From the dropdown list, click on Open with and select Choose another app option.
- Once you select the app you best app your files can work with, check the box Always use this app to open *.sit files.
- To ensure that your file isn’t corrupted before you open it, you can upload it online on VirusTotal and get it scanned.
You can use the method above on Mac, iPhone, Windows, Linux, and Android.
How to Open SIT File on iPhone or iPad
If you want to open the SIT file on iPhone or iPad, follow the steps below.
- Open the Files application on your iOS device. You can either search it manually or type Files in the search bar.
- Click on the Downloads folder in the Files app. This folder contains all the files you have downloaded.
- Click on the SIT file.
- If you have a compatible app, the file will open with it. Else, you first have to download an app that supports SIT on iOS devices and then proceed. One of the compatible apps available for iOS is Smith Micro StuffIt Expander.
Note: If you have a compatible app but still can’t open the SIT file, there is a good chance that you may only be able to open it through a desktop app. So, transfer the file to the desktop and open it using a compatible application. Else, the file may be corrupted.
How to Open MBOX File on Mac
How to Open SIT File on Windows
Opening the SIT file on Windows is as easy as opening it on any other operating system. Before you do, remember to install a third-party application that supports SIT file on Windows. These include:
- Smith Micro StuffIt Deluxe (Paid)
- Smith Micro StuffIt Expander (Free)
- Extract Now (Free)
To open it, follow the procedure below:
- Locate the SIT file in question in File Explorer.
- Double-click on the file to launch it.
- The file will open with a compatible application. If it does not, a message box will appear that says Windows can’t open a file. If so, you should try to manually search for an application to open it.
- Once you select the application to open the SIT file, click on File and then on Open from the main menu option in the application. Doing so will show all files with .sit and .zip extensions. You can choose the desired file you want to open.
- Once you’ve chosen the file, double-click on it. Doing so will list the file contents on a window.
- Select the content you want to extract. If you want to select more than one file, you can press the Shift and Control keys with each click.
- Click on the Extract options and locate the folder to store the extracted content.
- Click on the OK button.
That’s all. Congratulations, you can now easily open the SIT file on Windows.