Extracting important information from old emails stored in emails may sound like something too technical to perform. But, let me tell you, it is not as difficult as it may sound. In fact, you can open it using any text editor. However, in some cases, the formatting will make it difficult for you to read.
There are quicker and more efficient methods to open MBOX file on mac too. To help you out, we have compiled this blog that answers how to open MBOX File on Mac and gives you some amazing tips on the way too.
So, let’s dive in.
How to Open MBOX File on Mac
There are many ways to open MBOX File on Mac. You can go for a direct method, and that is with mail, or convert MBOX file format into any other format. Whatever way works best for you. Below are some ways that will definitely help you address your query.
How to Open MBOX File With Apple Mail
One of the most used methods is by importing the file into Apple Mail. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to open MBOX file on Mac using Apple Mail:
- Open the Apple Mail from the Finder.
- Choose the File menu on the top left corner of the window.
- Click on Import Mailboxes from the drop down list that has appeared.
- Select the Files in mbox format option from that pop-up window.
- Click the Continue button.
- Locate the MBOX file you want to open.
- Click the Choose button on the bottom right corner of the window.
- A message appears that tells the location where you will find the imported messages.
- Click on the Done button.
- You can open the imported files from the location previously told.
Choosing this method to open MBOX file has many benefits. Those include you being able to read and see the imported mails just like all other mails, making the managing, reading, and working quicker and more efficient.
How to open .INK files on Mac
What is the Easiest Way to Open MBOX File on Mac
If the procedure above sounds too complicated, you can try our tested easiest way to open a MBOX file that helps you. That is using a text editing app. This procedure is as simple as it sounds; follow the best and the easiest steps below.
- Launch the Finder.
- Find the MBOX file you want to open.
- Right-click on the file, which opens a drop-down list
- Click on the Open With option.
- Select the Text Editing App.
- A pop-up window appears where you will notice your emails. However, all the emails will be seen in a single window.
Although this is the easiest method, sometimes, due to formatting reasons, understanding the content written in it can be difficult.
How to Open MBOX File in Microsoft Outlook for Mac OS
Another answer on how to open a MBOX file on Mac is by using Outlook for Mac OS. To help you succeed at this, we have compiled steps to do so. So, stick around.
1. Manually Opening MBOX File
- First, you need to export the data of Apple Mail to MBOX. You can do so by opening Mac Mail, clicking on the File tab and selecting Import Mailboxes. Now, select the files to import and click in the Continue button. Once completed, click on the Done button.
- The next step is to transfer the file to the Eudora Program. Firstly, ensure that the file has the .mbx extension. Now, send it to the location where Eudora has its data stored. Next, open the Eudora mail client and open the MBOX file by double-clicking it.
- Now, it is time to import Eudora to Outlook Express. For this procedure, open the Outlook Express and click on the File tab. Now, click on Import and then click on Messages. Next, from the Import and Export Wizard, select Import Internet Mail And Addresses. Now, click on the Next button, and then on the Finish button.
2. By Converting MBOX File into PST Format
The other method that involves less hassle is by converting the MBOX file into PST format. To convert the required file into PST format, you can simply use a MBOX to PST converter such as Softaken MBOX to PST Converter or Kernel for MBOX to PST.
Now, log in to Outlook on Mac, click File and select Import. Now, choose the data file type to import PST format and press Next. Once you find the file, Click Import and you’re all set.
Method to Open MBOX File Using Viewer Tools and Applications
Everyone likes free softwares and there is nothing better than an application that does 100% of the job, saving you manual labor.You can always choose such converters and applications like MacMister MBOX Converter, Systools Mac MBOX Converter, and My Uncle MBOX Converterfor Mac to do the task.
What Features to Look for in a MBOX File Viewer Tool
Before you finalize and download a MBOX viewer tool, you should look for the following features in it:
- Compatibility: check if you can download the tool on a Mac with 10.8 Mountain Lion or more advanced update
- Attributes It Offers: once you open the MBOX file, can you see other attributes such as received from and sent to, or the subject of the email. If yes, then check for the third feature.
- Attaching Multiple Files: if you are able to attach multiple files or folders using the tool, it is good to go.
- Delete Option: if you are able to delete a file or folder using the tool with a single click, this MBOX viewer tool is a good option.
Why Should You Use a Viewer Tool to Open MBOX File on Mac
You might be thinking what is the benefit of using a viewer tool over other manual methods? Well, here are a few advantages other methods don’t provide.
- Exporting all the data at once is possible using Bulk Export.
- You can see the date and recipients involved in the email.
- While reading, you can save the email in any format you like ( MSG or EML).
While manually opening an MBOX file offers the best results, using viewer tools too is an idea worth a try.
Where to Find MBOX Files on Mac
To help you discover where exactly the MBOX files are located on versions 1, we advise you to follow the steps below:
- Launch the Finder on your Mac.
- Click on the Go button from the menu bar.
- 4. According to your Mac’s version, write down Type /Library/Mail/V2 for Mail 5-8 or /Library/Mail/V3 for Mail.
The method to locate MBOX files on versions 2,3,4, and above is slightly different.
- Launch the Finder on your Mac.
- Go to the Home directory.
- Click on the Home button on the toolbar menu.
- Select Library and click on Mailboxes on the window that appears.
You have now reached the location that stores all the MBOX files.
Do MBOX Files Contain Email Attachments
The short answer is yes, it does. The attachment might be a document, photo, audio, or video. To your surprise, MBOX files have them all. However, these attachments are nothing but a string of a few characters, which is mere garbage.
In this scenario, using an Apple Mail to open MBOX file is way better than using a text reader only. Apple Mail converts it in a way that you can use the emails just like your other emails. Long story short, you can perform tasks such as reading, replying, and other emailing options with it.
Can Other Email Readers Import MBOX Files
Yes, other email readers can open MBOX files. MBOX is an old yet famous format, due to which many email readers are still backing it. Alternatively, you can always go for a MBOX converter to do so
How to Create an MBOX File on Mac
Creating a MBOX File on Mac is possible, just like opening or reading one. To create one, decide and click on the folder you would like to convert and export. Now, right-click on the selected folder, and click on Export Mailbox from the context tab. Next, choose a location to save the MBOX file. Finally, click Choose.